September 14, 2009

Caterpillar Time!


It's that time of year here in cache Valley, and I assume other places as well, that those fuzzy little friends are all over the place. I have only raised butterflies with those mail order kits and I had no idea you could just raise one from the wild.


The kids found a caterpillar in the field that a neighbor told us would become a monarch butterfly. Joe told them they could give it a go. When he was a boy they would just let the things loose in the house and let them feed on house plants and eventually find a good spot to hang and transform from. So naturally Joe told the kids they could just let the little guy free in the house. Being the joy kill that I am, I limited the fella to the school room.


I had my doubts about our ability to keep Lenny alive (that's his name, by the way) until I found this wonderful site. Joyful Butterfly has all you need to know to just have butterflies coming out of your ears. After looking at the charts on this site I realized that Lenny didn't have a sporting chance the way we were keeping him and quickly got to work making more lush accommodations for him.


I think this will be fun. I recall doing it as a child with one of those mail-order kits, but this seems even better. Less commercial. We'll see if Lenny makes it and we'll post pictures of his progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by