September 11, 2009

We got in!


I am so excited!!! Probably a little more excited than the kids,but that's okay. Right? I am just modeling enthusiasm for learning. Well, that's what I'm going to tell myself, anyway.


Okay, Okay! On to the big news. Christison Home Academy of the Arts and Sciences (that's us, by the way) just had our lesson plan approved for the University of Illinois's Bug Scope program. This means that we are going to mail them our much beloved, but now dead, beetle friend along with some other bugs we find around the farm. They are then going to prepare our bugs for a stay in an electron microscope. Next comes the cool part! When our microscope time comes (November 9th @ 4:30 CT) our departed friend will go under the scope and the scope controls will be linked to out home computer. The kids and I will control University of Illinois's microscope remotely from here in Utah while chatting live with5 etymologists. All of our chats and pictures will be archived and we can access them forever more with our school's password.


How cool is that? If you've been to our house in the last 3 months, there is no doubt you know our little beetle friend. We're all thrilled that his tiny little corpse is going to serve a higher academic purpose. I mean, how many bugs can say they donated their bodies to science? Well, now that I think about it, probably a ton. But he's the only one from our yard.


Going along with Mr. Beetle will be Mr. Mantis, whom we found praying peacefully on the vacuums at the car wash and slipped into a baggy to take to yesterday's playgroup. He was a hit with the kids, but now he has to die. Sorry, Mr. Mantis! And also, Hunter has requested we send a rolly-polly. I do feel like that will make for some seriously cool pictures. I have always wondered if roll-pollies have eyes. Now I can find out!


Bug Scope is now accepting applications from public, private and home schools as well as after school programs, library programs, and other child centered activities. Baha'i Jr. Youth perhaps? So go to their site and sign up for your time. I will post all of our exciting findings after our session, but you can see pictures from other school's sessions at their web site.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool! I can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by