March 9, 2010

Green week and the muffin tin craze


I have to preface our renewed focus on color identification with a little background story. The other night after bed time, Joe said, "Do you realize that Haven doesn't know his colors?" I replied, "Of course he does!" He always has, I thought...but maybe I have slipped a little in keeping up on that skill. He is just 2, anyway!

So to prove Joe wrong, when Haven came upstairs to go potty, still wearing his Orange Wall-E sweatshirt, I asked, "Hey, Haven! What color is your shirt?" He looked down at his tummy and then confidently replied, "It's Wall-E colored!" I thought this was extremely witty, but Joe thought it was worrisome despite his giggling over the answer.

It is true that Hannah Jane got all of the themes and wacky, silly weeks of color concentration, and as I am busier with more advanced subjects these days, the boys have not gotten quite as much. But they have gotten it in different ways. We play color matching games and color scavenger hunts. But Joe guilted me enough and played the maybe home schooling 3 is more than you can handle card and so we're doing green week! It is pretty fun, and I'm glad we're doing more of the kid stuff.

So to jump start green week, I decided to get on board with the home school craze of muffin tin lunches. They are all over the net and they are generally adorable. People take it to all sorts of fantastic levels. We kept our first muffin tin lunch simple. All green foods. That was an easy and relatively healthy way to dip my toes into the muffin tin phenomenon! It was fun, and the kids' eyes lit up when they saw it.

I had not pre-planned this little meal time adventure, as the color conundrum just came up yesterday, so I had to work with what I had on hand. That meant pickles, broccoli, sweet peas, kiwi fruit, and banana pudding with some food coloring mixed in. The rule was that their entire row of fruits and veggie had to be eaten before they could touch the pudding. They ate it all, every bite, and when they asked for more, were happy to polish off another 2 muffin tins full of peas!

My skepticism about this lunch format rang true, as it was not nearly enough food for the boys. I don't care what scientists say, my boys' stomachs are not the size of their fists! King Kong's fists, maybe, but not their own tiny fists! They eat like teenage boys!

After we cleaned up from lunch, it was finger painting time. I pulled a recipe from the internet for home made finger paint. I didn't think about the proportions before we made it, and it made enough for an entire preschool class. Oops! So we made one piece of art that had to be done following instructions (just to make sure they actually knew how to follow instructions) and one free-for-all, get your hands messy, feel the squish between your fingers piece. For the first they had to use their fingertips to make a worm and other bugs. When it dries completely we will go back with a sharpie and add funny faces! For the second, as you can imagine, I got 3 pieces of paper completely covered in green! Restraint isn't the forte of the 2 and 4 year old!

We wore it out so much that I have no idea what we'll do for the rest of the week for the green theme.

For our other studies, we just finished the fall of Rome and are about to enter the middle ages!!! I'm excited. Today we watched a PBS special on cathedrals, and we're reading books from the era, including a novel based on Joan of Arc. I was shorted studies of anything but America and Bible history in my own education (with an exception of the Monty Python movies set in that period), so I am excited to see what was up during those times. I think next week we'll build a castle, or maybe design the interior of one on a shower curtain, we'll likely paint the school room windows like stain glass or find some other stain glass craft, and Hannah Jane is way into gargoyles, so we'll watch the History Channel DVD on gargoyles and maybe paper mache one of our own to protect the house. Should be fun, but none of that is very green. For Haven I still have to do some planning!


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous14.3.10

    The Cathedral of the Madeleine in Salt Lake City has all those medieval elements if you are up for a field trip!
    The Cathedral is also VERY colorful. I am sure you could tie it into your color theme quite nicely.
    And for little Hannah? TONS of gargoyles guarding the spires!
    https://saltlakecathedral.org/pictorial-tour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous14.3.10

    The Cathedral of the Madeleine in Salt Lake City has all those medieval elements if you are up for a field trip!
    The Cathedral is also VERY colorful. I am sure you could tie it into your color theme quite nicely.
    And for little Hannah? TONS of gargoyles guarding the spires!
    https://saltlakecathedral.org/pictorial-tour

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks Anonymous! We will absolutely take that field trip to wrap up out unit! Great idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by