March 14, 2010

Bed Rest Reflections



I gave a shout out to our insurance company's nurse advice line when I got back from the Baha'i community fast breakfast this morning and got a whopping, "Get to the doctor in the next 8 hours!" response. Coming from the people that I suspect are supposed to discourage trips to the Doctor, I took her advice seriously and immediately headed to the InstaCare clinic. I can't stand that place, but I have yet to get a recommendation for a well liked local physician in this town so it was my only choice. Long story short, kidney infection, bed rest, antibiotics, and no more fasting for a week. The fast will be over by then, so I guess this is goodbye fast and hello food. I'm pretty bummed about it.

Sweet Hannah Jane perched on my bed and said, "Well, Momma...you can't really fast, but you can still act like you're fasting and pray a whole awful lot. Does that make sense, Momma?" How adorable and insightful. I told her that her plan was exactly what I intend to do, and that her thoughts were right in line with the Guardian's advice for those who cannot fast for medical reasons.


So here I find myself in bed when I would normally be doing laundry, painting the bathroom cabinets, or out preparing the field for planting. But I have found that there is a ton to do from bed that I have been putting off.

I needed to clip the coupons from today's paper, return e-mails and confirm RSVPs for Friday's coupon class, proofread my manuscript that sat untouched for a month while my last laptop died a slow and painful death, and finally cut up that pile of kids' clothes into squares for their memory quilts. Not to mention, shoot out a blog to tell you all about my new comfy, cozy imprisonment!
I began with the quilt squares. Oh, the satisfaction of handling the clothes the kids have out grown; images of funny things they did while wearing each item flying around my head like steam swirling from my over creamed coffee cup. It was so relaxing and emotional (because, well, every thing is emotional for me, and you'd know that in an instant if you spent much time around me. I cried in Monsters Inc. for goodness sake!) and I finally had nothing more pressing to do than this.

Isn't it strange how the things that will mean the most in the end are the very things that get pushed aside for lesser things like e-mails and phone calls? The quilts my Nana made are some of the most special things I can think of. There's one that is a solid print, very practically quilted, with cowboys all over it. I asked my dad on our last trip and he confirmed that it was indeed his bedspread from childhood. So I unknowingly spent my childhood making forts and reading books beneath the shelter of what was not only a special memory of Nana, but a special thing from my father's childhood as well. I wonder if it gave him satisfaction to see me love it so much all those years. And then there's this hideous, but ridiculously warm patchwork quilt with big mismatched squares that don't quite meet up perfectly at the corners ( a lot like my quilts) and obviously not made from any store bought coordinating prints. Knowing Nana, she either made it from old curtains and sheets, or from years of clearance fabric without regard for the latest fashions. Some of the squares are polyester, some cotton, some unidentifiable blends that they probably haven't manufactured since the 20's. But it just feels like love when I wrap up in them. It feels even better when my kids play on them and I feel a little bit of Nana surrounding them.

Hannah Jane was thrilled to see that I had quilted together two rows of her quilt in large squares of tie dyes, patriotic stars from her 4th of July dress, pink florals from her favorite pair of summer pants, and denim for her most adorable ever pair of blue jean shorts that she wore every time we camped last summer. She sat and told me stories of things she had done, people she had met, while wearing each item.
The boys' quilts are a little harder. You see, dresses allow for large squares to be cut out, making for less sewing. But shorts and pocketed shirts leave a lot less room for cutting large squares. There's also the hand-me-down issue because everything Hunter gets becomes Haven's before we're done with it. So all of their shirts and shorts must be divided so that there is a piece for each of their quilts. When they are all done- years from now, I'm sure- and they have out grown their little kid curtains, I will use them and perhaps their kid sheets for the backing so that they are not just alike and so the kids know how unique and special they each are to me.

Anyway, that'll keep me busy for days! I just hope I am on my feet by tomorrow because Joe has to work and I doubt the kids will clean the house for me and feed themselves while I sit in bed and cut up old dress shirts!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by