May 25, 2010

No more Pa

My dad has been in town for the last 5 days (although it seemed like just one or two), hence the no blogging for a time. And can you believe I didn't take a single picture while he was here? I don't know what got into me! I just put the camera down and enjoyed our time together, which was nice, but now I really wish I had gotten at least one picture of him with the kids while he was here.

The weather was complete yuck during his whole visit, and of course today after we dropped him off the sun came out and the skies were blue. So we didn't get to do quite as much outdoorsy stuff as I would have liked. But we had such fun just mucking about. We went into the canyon twice despite the rain. We took a fence line hike at the base of the mountains behind our house and we took a dinner out into the canyon past the Rendezvous and sloshed around in the rain a bit before coming home.

It felt like every place we took him was a disaster. We wanted him to see the kids at their favorite places, but it just wasn't in the cards. We took lunch to American West Heritage Center only to find out it was closed. But we snuck our food into a tee-pee and ate overlooking the buffalo anyway. Then we took him to Fun Park and there were bus loads of middle school students there. The lady at the door actually said, "It might be dangerous for your kids in here right now." So we left and went to Mc D's instead.

Despite the weather and the complete inability to find a suitable hang out place for the kids to play, the visit was so great. Just sitting around with my dad is so awesome! We told stories, he told me some things about my childhood that blew my mind in how different they were from how I remember them, and we talked about God and science and all of those mysteries that life presents to us. It was wonderful.

Today we dropped him off in Salt Lake city and as we drove away, the whole van load of us were a blubbery mess. I always wonder how long you have to be away from home before you stop crying every time you say good bye to Daddy. If it hasn't happened yet, I guess it never will. I love my Daddy-O and the kids love their Pa, so I suppose we'll be a little weepy for a few days while we readjust to not having Pa in the bedroom downstairs.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I'm so glad you all had a good visit! Your dad is a pretty special guy, indeed. Maybe someday our clan can take a trip out there!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by