May 14, 2010

Wrapping up the week

Sadly, I'm still virtually voiceless. I croaked out a speaking voice at choir rehearsal today and the poor kids looked a bit like How in the world are going to learn to sing from you, the frog-throated wonder? But they hung in there with me for a beautiful first try at a Latin piece we are working on.

I had formed a habit of scheduling my Fridays around visits Barb where we chat and catch up while the kids watch a movie. And since our friend Steve (Barb's man) moved into our guest room, he has been doing an informal cooking class with the kids so that Barb and I can have (almost) uninterrupted girl time. I need my Barb time for my sanity, but my Fridays have filled up now with Speech, Band, and choir all in one day! So I was happy to find out that Hunter's speech will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays through the summer so I can get back to getting my much needed Barb fix. Today we squeezed in an hour at her place, which was a little more difficult because at my place the kisd know the rules and what is available to them, so the supervision doesn't have to be so intense. But I am celebrating having slightly freed up Fridays for a few months!!!

Steve spent the week hard at work on a playset for the kids. I was skeptical when he said, "I can just design one in my head and build it with no sketch." Very skeptical. I guess I just assume most men will say, "I got this. No problem." to whatever you toss at them whether they actually know what they are doing or not. But Steve has way impressed us! Not only has he built an amazing fort with swings, slide, and a pretend ice cream shop with drive through underneath, but he's done it all with 3 kids and a dog underfoot because I've been too sick in bed to call them off. It's nothing short of fabulous!!! I'd say that making your dear friend's heart flutter and conquering a looming building project while practically baby sitting makes him the best tenant you could ask for. Right?

So the backyard is coming together nicely for summer, the chickens are finally out in the pasture free-ranging it during the day and chillin in the barn at night, and the garden is half planted. Life is good!

Best of all...my dad is coming out next week! I am sooooooo excited! This will be his first time seeing our house and I can't wait. I think he worried all those years we spent living in 500 sq/ft and I am more than a little proud to finally get to say, "Look, Daddy. We did alright for ourselves." And I'm pretty sure he's going to love it. So I'd better get to tidying up for his arrival. I want everything as close to perfect as it can actually be with 3 kids running around. Seems I can clean all day and with those little folks trailing behind me and undoing my work, it never really gets done. But now I have a fort to send them out to play in so I can really accomplish something.

It's going to be a great week ahead!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great week!!

    I am from the Welcome Wagon at SITs! I hope you are enjoying the party:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the fort. Where can I get myself a "Steve" to come build one for my son. lol Your children are gorgeous!

    Stopping by from SITS. Welcome!

    Cheers :-)
    - CoconutPalmDesigns

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by