July 1, 2010

Sick time well spent

Well, it's day 4 of Chicken Pox and 1 day until wisdom teeth.  The boys are doing exceptionally well, a little crabby, but only with the mildest of itching.  I've pretty much couched the whole crew in an effort to allow their bodies to put their full energy into healing.

One of Joe's scientists at the university had some research that convinced Joe that our bodies can only do one thing well at a time, so when you're sick it's best to let that one thing be healing.  So, with that in mind, the kiddos have been encouraged to do as little as possible in the way of exerting themselves.  That has meant more than the standard half hour of screen time per day.  But, we've been trying to make good use of it.

Today we're watching Felicity, the American Girl movie.  I tell ya what!  I am so impressed with the whole American Girl thing.  I never thought I would be.  It's such a big money business that I kind of thought I would loathe the whole thing.  But it's educational, getting Hannah Jane really interested in learning about the lives of people in history, that I can't help but love it. 

I have always loved the Charlotte Mason idea that caring deeply for a person in a story, putting yourself in their place and really sort of living their life as you read, is one of the best ways to get children to care about history.  When you live that life through the book, you learn more than just the facts, but learn to appreciate the struggles of the people of the time, their hopes and their daily monotony.  All so much more meaningful that straight fact.

As we're watching Felicity, Hannah Jane is asking why refusing or drinking tea in Colonial America was enough to make people turn away from friends.  She's learning about apprenticeships and the revolutionary war.  About the primitive medical care.  So many questions she's asking I don't have the answers for and so we're Googling as we watch.  I do love anything that makes them ask good, hearty questions!

Having this last week where we've not had an agenda, but have just lounged around telling stories, cuddling and talking has been such a blessing.  Sure we're going on a little less sleep and a little more whining.  That's all true.  But we're also operating on extra snuggles and giggles.  Can't beat that!  So I'm suddenly pretty glad about the whole chicken pox quarantine, even if it did allow me more time to sit and worry about the whole wisdom teeth thing.  Man, yesterday everything that happened I was saying to myself, "If I were one to believe in signs, I'd be sure I was not going to make it out of this extraction alive."  But all of that fear just made me settle in and enjoy this cuddle time all the more.

So, this is my last post until it's all over.  Please send up some prayers for me tomorrow!  But when I'm back,  I'll have lot's on new and exciting things to share.  Upon return, I'll be telling you about a cool new program to encourage parents to cook with their kids and making some cooking videos with the kids as we participate.  And I think that first giveaway I told you about should have arrived for the giving!  All fun and exciting developments!  So, once I've been to Dr. Wisdom Teeth and lived to tell about it, I'll get back into home schooling posts, and new family initiatives!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by