August 9, 2010

Kids Cook Monday: Monkey Cakes!

Well, we are overwhelmingly busy this week and our internet has been significantly slowed by the recent storms.  We're just happy to have our electricity back, so I'm not going to complain too much.  But we opted out of a video this week!  Sorry folks!  Hopefully speedy service will be back next week and we'll be here with another video!

This week I decided to share with you an old post from Skyla's Kitchen where the kids invented their own baking recipe called Monkey Cakes!  So yummy!  I think baking is one of the best ways to cook with tiny kids because they can just dump in the pre measured ingredients and stir!  Nothing to it!  So here's our old post on making Monkey Cakes!  Your little Monkeys will love 'em!

Monkey Cakes


On this soggy, rainy day in Utah the kids stood at the window lamenting the loss of an afternoon spent catching Monarch caterpillars for the school room. Choruses of Rain, Rain, Go Away! echoed in the dreary sun room. "What can we do now?" they crooned. Sounded like baking time to me!

Ever since Jeanine taught me to bake brownies using actual ingredients, my commitment to baking from a box has waned significantly. What else could I make from actual ingredients that we already have? How much money can I save by baking this way? Or the better question is how much more often can we bake for the same price if I do it this way?

So I Googled "baking with cocoa" and searched the results. Nothing stood out as exactly what we were craving, so we took the liberty of combining 2 recipes and creating something new. The outcome was the birth of Monkey Cakes!

As usual, the kids gathered round the bar in the kitchen and put on their best manners so as to not be sent to bed and miss this new culinary creation. First they each peeled a banana and mashed it with a potato masher. The banana mashing is really what makes this recipe a mom's best friend. I even went so far as to let them squish it between their fingers a little bit - hands washed, of course! Then they took turns pouring in those actual ingredients I keep talking about. While we waited for them to be done baking, we consulted over a name for our new creations and Monkey Cake was the obvious winner.


Our recipe:
Mashed bananas of course!
1/4 cup oil (because we were out of butter, so go with butter if that suits you)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cups dutch processed cocoa (but I'm sure any cocoa would do)
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes

That recipe makes a dozen cupcakes or one square brownie pan of pure monkey fun!

We frosted with store bought frosting because the grocer was getting rid of big tubs of it for a buck last time we were there and I stocked up. Maybe next time we'll try our hands at ingredient based frosting too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by