January 24, 2011

Baha'i Blog Blah

Block Letter B
  
Okay, so maybe that title is a little harsh.  There are some way awesome Baha'i blogs out there.  But I gotta say it...and if you know me, you had to see this coming...they are so serious! 

letter A

I'll bet you're wondering where this came from.  Well, I have a secret obsession with LDS craft blogs at the moment.  Yes.  I said it.  LDS craft blogs.  Perhaps it is because I live in Utah that all of my craftiest friends post the best links to blogs where adorable LDS moms put out tutorials on how to make the coolest stuff under the sun.  Many of their crafts have an LDS flair, but the posts aren't weighted down with serious religious talk.  Nope.  They move on and make something pretty to decorate the coffee table with.   I tried to Google "Baha'i craft blog," but the results were, well, less satisfying. 

h

 So I got to thinking that the world needs more crafty Baha'is on-line.  Or at least light hearted ones who frequently blog about good old fashioned living that we can all relate to and then give it a little Baha'i flair.  As soon as I had that thought I had a pang of guilt that whispered to me, "But Skyla.  Crafts?  There are deep spiritual concepts that go undiscussed and you want Baha'is to blog about crafts?"  But then my other inner voice, the one that frequently sneaks out on holy days and asks where the punch bowl is hiding said, "But this is what we have in common.  It's a connecting point.  It's what we need!"  That second voice won out.  With the amount of times I've Google "LDS craft blogs" and come away completely happy, I'm thinking that there are connections to be made through the less weighty stuff of life.  Through the knitting patterns, needle point projects, and hand made paper.  Why not make them?

letter a

I fully appreciate the need to be reverent and respectful, to have meaningful discussions.  I do.  The world really needs more critical thinkers and our youth need to develop the ability to discuss meaningful topics with open minds and confidence.  I know we're a generally joyful crew, but when we discuss things as Baha'is we get all serious and make an effort to be understood.  What I really want people to understand about me is that yes, I'm a Baha'i.  And I'm pretty much just like you!  I frequently get a case of the giggles at the wrong time, I knit ugly baby blankets for friends and  then am too ashamed to give them, and when the time is right I enjoy a serious conversation about spirituality. 
letter I

I just would love to see people put themselves out there with connecting conversation points, but as Baha'is.  Because let's face it.  Lots of people never think to Google "Baha'i Fiath."  But I'll bet a ton of them go looking for activities to do with their kids, crafts to make, free sewing patterns.  Right? I'm feeling it's time to use those other things to make connections.  Like, "Hey!  I loved your Articles of Faith banner and wanted you to know I made one with my favorite Baha'i quote!  Thanks for the tutorial!  And by the way, I made this cool painting of the Lotus Temple.  Perhaps you'd like to check out how I did it and make one of your temple!"  You know?

When I first became a Baha'i, so eager to find my place in it all, I remember clinging to this song by Grant Hindon Miller about Ella Baily.  I decided that I needed that song in some way because we all look for a way to identify with other people, other serious members of our faith.  Suffice it to say that there isn't much written about women who look like me or have names I can easily pronounce in the Baha'i world.  But Ella Baily from Texas?  Well, there's a woman I could relate to.  Kind of like the Mormon moms who are super crafty.  I can relate to that. I feel comfortable there. 

I rambled.  I know.  But I'm thinking there's an opportunity here that we should tap into.  I really do.Okay.  Thanks for tolerating that rant.  I'm off to knit another ugly baby blanket.

9 comments:

  1. Did you try this one?

    http://ruhicrafts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks! That's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I TOTALLY agree with you. In fact I found your blog by googling "bahai craft family blog". I am always looking for what other Bahai mom's are doing with their kids for Feasts and Holidays! It is so important to me to be able to bring special rituals around Bahai holidays. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked out your space on the web, and let me just say that you are my dream blogger! Baha'i, Waldorf, craftiness, and adorable kids all rolled up into one photo filled blog! Bless your heart! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping to find some other Baha'i crafty moms too! I'm not all that crafty but I do like creative ideas. Here are a few others I've found

    Mine http://veritabletreasure.blogspot.com/
    http://nurturingthetenderyears.blogspot.com/
    http://hoogliart.wordpress.com/2009/02/02/ayyam-i-ha-calendar/
    http://mudspice.wordpress.com/

    Please share your ideas here!!!! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bahai-Family-Life/194069133956795#!/pages/Bahai-Family-Life/194069133956795

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chelsea, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mudspice! I've been following it for years now. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog by googling, "Bahai family blogs", there are so few so I was excited to find yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Look at all of us crafty Baha'is! Haha! I must agree...Mudspice is fantastic! Thanks for the warm vibes, friends!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by