October 19, 2011

Wax Dipped Leaves


It's time for fall decorating.  Okay, it's past time, but some of us have been busy.  Last week I managed to stamp some background paper on which to mount some cute pages about fall from a magazine my friend Kim gave me.  She's such a doll!  And I put up the obligatory spider webbing and plastic spiders on the kitchen chandelier.  But I wanted something a little more crafty that the kids could help with.

I found this tutorial on Martha Stewart for dipping fall leaves in wax to preserve their color.  I suppose it's a bit like blanching your veggies before you freeze or can them.  I don't know exactly what I was expecting...something magical perhaps.  But in the end we simply had a string of floating leaves that looked as natural as can be.  Natural is good, but I guess I wanted all of our efforts to be evident in the finished product.  I mean, it's no small amount of work to dip leaves in boiling hot wax with small kids and then string them up by invisible wire to flutter in the air.  But they are darling, and I suppose if I had just hung them up without dipping they would lose their color and crumble quite soon.

I won't give you the tute since you can find it at Martha's place.  Wouldn't want to steal her thunder :)  But I will give you a few tips that I found made things cheaper.


Martha says to use bleached candle making bee's wax.  We've made a lot of wax projects this year and it gets pricey.  It dawned on me that I could buy a candle for a buck, grate it into the double boiler, and get the same results.  I did and it was just fine.  So you can pay 7 bucks for the candle making wax, or you can spend a dollar for an uncolored candle at the store and use your cheese grater to make it extra meltable.

On the other hand, I think if we had used the wax made for frosted candles, the leaves might have looked magical with a touch of frost across them.  So, if that sounds appealing, spring for the $7 wax.

Also, Martha say to hang it by monofilament.  What the heck is that???  I never did figure out what monofilament is, but I used fishing line and it's nice and invisible and only a buck fifty in the sporting goods department. 


So there you have it!  The kids really enjoyed this little project and Joe really loved the results!  Give it a whirl if you need to bring some of the color of the season indoors!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous22.10.11

    Hey there..I have an answer for you..coming from a fishing guides wife..mono..well you guessed it..its a fancy word for fishin line..the pretty see through kind..good job! And I'm so stealing this idea..thank you Skyla Stewart! - R Lottis

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by