December 2, 2011

Hunter's Kentucky Rose

That look kind of says it all, doesn't it?

Tonight Hunter and I had one of those completely random conversations that I just want to remember forever.  It so sums up his conflicted little personality.  I've never ever met a boy who wanted so much to be sweet, but was so inclined to be mischievous. He simply can't help himself, but he tries so hard.  I'm laughing just typing this because it's just so adorably pitiful.

I recently ran across a very old CD from the hey day of my youth when I was a super duper evangelical and didn't listen to anything at all but Christian pop.  I know I've mentioned my love of abstinence themed rap (I seriously LOVED this song when I was about 13 and I still can't help but sing along and bust a move when I hear it).  But I also have a special place in my heart for over enthusiastic Michael W. Smith music.  Yes sir!  Love it.  So I was crazy excited to run across my old Michael W. Smith greatest hits CD and share it with the kids.  Guess what!  They love it too.  LOL!  I know...listening to early 90's Christian pop is social suicide, but I listened to Dion Warwick with my dad as he relived his glory days and I turned out just fine, so what's the worst that could happen?

Hunter has developed quite a love for the song Kentucky Rose, about a preacher who was kind and honorable and eventually died saving a boy trapped under a bridge.  It's not my most favorite song on the disc, but Hunter loves it so we've been listening to a lot of it over the past week.  Before I tell the story, here's someone's home made music video for the song so you can get in Hunter's head.



Tonight, as we were driving to pick Hannah Jane up from girl scouts, Hunter said, "Mom, when I grow up I want to be just like Kentucky Rose."

I said, "Yeah?  How do you want to be like him?"

"I want to be so kind that when I die, everyone remembers me for being the nicest person who helped everybody!"

"Ohh...I see.  Well, you know that you don't have to wait to be grown up to be like that."

"Really? "

"Yeah, really.  You can be unbelievably nice even when you're a kid.  People from all around would say, 'you know that Hunter kid?  I know!  He's like the kindest kid ever!'"

Hunter was quiet for a few seconds and he said, "I really want to mom, but it just sounds so hard.  Maybe when I'm older I'll see someone trapped under a bridge and I'll save them and people will just remember me for that.  It's just so hard to be nice all the time."

I tried really hard not to laugh and said, "Yeah, I get that.  Sometimes we've been not so nice before we even realize it, huh?  Well, I'll make you a deal.  If you really want to be like Kentucky Rose, I'll do it with you and we can help each other remember to be nice.  How does that sound?"  I thought this was a brilliant play on my part.  I was momentarily feeling super proud of my mothering skills.  Then...

He literally cracked up.  "Mooooom!  That's silly! It's not as hard for you and you know it!  You're nice all the time already!  You're just trying to trick me into being nice before I grow up.  I'm smart, you know.  I know you're tricking me."

Well, holy cow.  He's on to me.  I'm going to have to up my mommy game.  This stinks.

"There's no tricking you, is there?  But I really do find it hard to be nice sometimes.  Sometimes it's really, really hard not to say something mean, or just take what I want, but I practice a lot.  And sometimes, no matter how hard I practice, I still say something not so nice and feel really bad about it.  But you're right.  It probably is a little easier for me.  I can still help you though."

"That's okay.  I'll just watch for kids under snowy bridges."

Fair enough, little man.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by