February 9, 2012

Hallway Makeover

I'm so stinkin' excited!!!!  I've made over our hallway and the transformation is fantastical!  But let me back up a bit.  When we moved in, we made the mistake of feeling rushed.  Hunter had been allergic to everything in Oregon and we wanted to make sure this was a healthy place for him to live.   The previous owners had been smokers, so we wanted to rip out the carpet, then use this uber primer to lock the smoke smell away, then paint, and have the carpet put back in after we painted so that the new carpet didn't get smoke smell in it from the walls.  It seemed like a great plan, and I still think it probably was except that it meant we really rushed the painting.

I generally dislike all white walls in a house, but I dislike beige even more.  But Joe likes beige.  So we tried to compromise with a dark beige so that I felt like I was getting color and he felt like we were still neutral.  What we ended up with was something like the inside of a pumpkin throughout the whole house.  Now, if I'm being honest, I kind of like it.  But I could tell that it was embarrassing to Joe and I did think it made the house seem a little more closed in. 

The painting situation is what caused Joe and I to recalculate our best advice to newlyweds.  We weren't newlyweds when we did this, but now our advice is to never compromise.  Haha!  If we had gone beige, he would have been happy.  If we had gone green, I would have been happy.  But instead we tried to make everyone happy and the result was that no one was really happy.  Better to have one person love it than no one at all.  So our new advice is to never compromise!


Anyway, no one wants to repaint an entire house just after they've done it once.  Right?  But I decided that a hallway makeover would be a good place to start.  The rooms are broken up with art work and furniture, but the hallway is just one long stretch of "buckskin pony," affectionately known as "pumpkin innards."


Joe and I talked about it, and I even met him for lunch on the day that I went to Lowe's and we talked about baseboards, paint, and chair rails.  He agreed to help me paint that night, so I thought he was on board.  When I got home, I began ripping off baseboards and taping off the walls.  The look on Joe's face when he came in the door and saw that pile of baseboards in the floor was horrifying!  I guess maybe as I was talking about baseboards AND chair rail, he thought I was just talking about chair rail.  The idea of ripping out existing baseboards was a step farther than he had mentally committed to.  But he's a good sport.  There was no going back, so he jumped on board. 


We painted after the kids went to bed two nights in a row.  Joe paced the halls each night, staring at the walls and looking...um...unconvinced.  It did look a bit institutional without any rail between the colors.  I cut and mitered the new baseboards and rails during the day and then painted them the next night after bedtime.


Before the kids were even out of bed this morning, I was in there getting ready for nailing day!  While they ate breakfast I nailed all of the trim pieces in place.  I still need to putty over the nails and in the cracks, but I forgot to get putty, so I'm going to have to grab some while I'm waiting for Hannah Jane to get out of swim lessons and then do it tonight.  But in pictures, it pretty much looks all done!  The return air vent on the right side is being replaced, so there's still a hole there. 


Three nights, $120, and I feel like it finally looks like someone wanted it to look this way and not like an accident.  I love it!!!  I want to do the stairwell and the downstairs hallway next, but I'll be sure and get approval from the boss first this time.  With what I spent on the upstairs hall, there's enough paint left to do both of the other areas, so it would be even cheaper!

What do you think?  I can't stop looking at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by