February 18, 2012

Hunter and Mommy date to the African Banquet

Last night Hunter and I met our friend Bereket, who is from Eritrea, at the African Student Union's annual African Banquet. We only got to stay for the first half because it ran really late,but it was a ton of fun and I learned a lot.  The food was fantastic and having Bereket there to show us how to actually combine the different foods, like tearing off a piece of the sour, spongy roll of breadlike stuff and using it to pick up the spicy lentils, was completely helpful.  I don't think I'd have cared much for either of those things separately, but together they were really yumm.

The dancing was interesting.  The women really did it up big.  The guys just kind of ran in place while holding spears, which looked like they just thought they were too cool to really bust out and do it.  And there was a play about a wedding, which ended with the girl's father making her marry a man she didn't love while her true love watched from afar.  And then it was over.  The woman beside me was yelling, "rewrite!  Boo!"  Hunter asked, "Is that for real?  Do some people have to marry people they don't like just because their dad says so?  Why would a dad do that?  For 6 goats?"   I thought it was sad, but good for him to see so he can appreciate what he's got.

On the way home, he said he'd never marry a black woman. I asked why and he said, "Well, because I'm never going to marry anyone!  You know that.  If I change my mind I'll tell you.  And if I change my mind, maybe she'll be from Africa."  LOL!  After a few minutes of silence he said, "Mom, if you hadn't ever married dad, you and me couldn't have had this fun date tonight.  I'm glad you got married."  That last part was about the sweetest thing I've ever heard come out of his mouth.  I love that kid.  And I loved our date!

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I love African voices singing. So full of life. I know some of the drummers. The fellow with dreads standing on the far left, and the woman sitting in a red shirt live down the street from me and are the sweetest things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I love that you two had a "date." What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by