October 29, 2012

Interfaith Scripture Hero Party

It's been 10 days since I posted.  What's with that?!?!  Oh, maybe it's been the busy fall schedule, the sick kids, the sick mom, then some more sick kids.  Tis the season, I suppose.  We are supposed to be having our annual science party today, but Hannah Jane and Hunter were up all night with coughs and fevers, so I had to cancel.  Bummer.  But as I sit here in bed, I figure I owe you a post.  I probably owe you 10, but you're not getting 10.

Varqa, Tahirih, and Horace Holley waiting to go to the party

The coolest thing we've done since last I posted was our interfaith scripture hero party.  My dear friend Steffanie has a family tradition of spending one family home evening near Halloween dressing up as their favorite scripture hero and telling about him/her.  For several years they have invited us to their scripture hero FHE.  One year we were all prepared and dressed and ready to go as Bible characters when the boys threw an epic fit and I called and canceled to make my point that you don't mess with Momma just because we're on our way out the door to attend a party.  My point was made and life was easier for a few months.  The next year I think we had colds or something (are you seeing a pattern?  October always hits us hard).  But this year, because our interfaith meetings are always on family home evenings, they asked if we could have an interfaith scripture hero party.  Cool!


The Biblical raucous was a little loud for Hannah Jane

Since we were going to have more kids than usual, Steff rented out a room at the library and we had a potluck dinner followed by a guessing game where we listened to each person tell us something about his or
her hero and then we guessed who the hero was.  One little girl guessed Joseph Smith no matter who was talking.  Even when my kids, dressed as Baha'i figures, were up.  Hannah Jane was Tahirih, but the little girl's hand shot up, "You're Joseph Smith!"  It was adorable!

As I said, Hannah Jane was Tahirih,  Haven was Varqa, the Silver Tongued Nightingale, and  Hunter, who wanted to participate but didn't want to wear a costume, was Horace Holley.  Sure, none of those people are actually in our "scriptures," But as Baha'is, we don't dress up like our prophets and our sacred writings aren't really stories of old like the Bible or the Book of Mormon.  So we just went with heroic Baha'is from stories of old that aren't exactly scriptural.  Which was perfect for Hunter because he could be a more modern Baha'i figure and not have to don a robe of funny head covering.


Hmmm...how to explain Tahirih?

Among the other guests was the most adorable Jonah you could ever see, Esther, a sister missionary, Moroni, and some that I can't quite think of at the moment.  I was Rubabi (I have no idea how to spell her name) which even the other Baha'is there didn't quite get.  Joe, having not planned anything and always the character, was the she bear who came and killed the children who called the prophet Elisha a bald guy in the Old Testament.  Oh, the hours we've sat around the table with missionaries and had a hearty laugh about the she bears!  

It was an enjoyable evening with friends, albeit a very loud evening, with little biblically dressed whirling dervishes screaming around the room and demanding more dessert!  Kind of comical, actually.  How often do you get to see a Horace Holley defending the virgin Mary from a sister missionary while Moroni is whining about Varqa sticking his finger in the cake?  I would venture to guess not all that often!  

I'm off to wipe more noses and make some phone calls.  Hopefully we'll all be up and around in time for co-op and choir tomorrow.  And I double hope we're all good for trick or treating!

4 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Okay, have to ask - who is Rubabi?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! We used to go to a rockin' All Saints Day party but we don't have that anymore. Hope you'll consider linking up on Waldorf Wednesday!
    http://ourseasonsofjoy.com/seasons-of-joy/waldorf-wednesday-10/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We fell in love with Rubabih through this song. It tells her story far better than I could summarize it. http://www.christianforums.com/t7647026-4/

    Love Grant Hindon Miller and especially love this particular song.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by