March 4, 2013

the Small Moments

It was a day of perfect small moments with  Hunter yesterday.

SAM_3390

He got a shiny new pinwheel from our friend Barb for Ayyam-i-Ha and he asked if her could roll down the van window and hold it out, just until we got to Main Street.  The joy on his face as it whirled around was just indescribable.  His feet bounced up and down and his face looked as thought it might shatter with that huge smile pressing the corners of his mouth farther and farther apart.  It was priceless joy!

SAM_3385

Then, last night we had a group of friends over for a study circle and about an hour through, Hunter showed up in the hallway, hours after bed time.  I quietly excused myself and scooped him up and asked what was the matter.

"I have a headache, but I'm not sick."  he said.

"Well, what could a momma do to make you feel better?"

He replied, "Water and some snuggles usually helps with that sort of thing."

Melt my heart!  So I got him a cup of water and then we sat for a long time on his ottoman, snuggling with his legs wrapped around my waist and his sweet little head on my shoulders.  

"Don't you have to get back to the grown-ups, Mom?"  he asked.

"Nope.  I'm right where I should be because you're the most important person in this house right now."

He lifted his head and looked up at me.  "I am?  Why?"

"Because you're going to change the world someday and that makes you pretty special," I whispered.

He crinkled his forehead and said, "If I make the world too different, people will be uncomfortable, Mom."  Ha!  His little brain works in unexpected ways.  I did not see that answer coming.

"Well, you'll have to make it better a little at a time, then, to make sure no one is too uncomfortable."

He thought about it and said, "Well, finding a way to bring dinosaurs back to life would be one small way I could make the world more awesome, so I'll focus on that.  Do you think that would make people too uncomfortable?"

I resisted the urge to say that I would find it very uncomfortable to have a dinosaur walking by, and just said, "Maybe that will be your contribution.  It would be amazing."

He hugged me hard one last time and said goodnight.  

Those small moments that come unexpectedly are the ones in which I really learn who my kids are, when I feel their sweetness, and when I fall in love with them all over again.  So glad I didn't rush him back off to bed to get back to our company faster.  

2 comments:

  1. Bringing dinosaurs back go life - love it! And really loved all your answers to him. I am sure he will change the world someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Bringing dinosaurs back to life is his mission! Has been for years. When we told him that there was a movie about that, he about fell out of his chair. He can't wait until he's old enough to watch Jurassic Park. And quite frankly, I can't wait to watch it with him.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by