February 24, 2014

We're Getting Ready for Ayyam-i-Ha!


It's an exciting time of year for Baha'i kiddos around the world!  It's almost Ayyam-i-Ha!  We've got some exciting things planned for Ayyam-i-Ha this year, and I thought I'd share a little of it today as we continue getting ready.


This is our humble Ayyam-i-Ha countdown peacock.  He's in his 4th year of existence, but I've never shared him on the blog because, well, he's very humble.  Haha!  He's kind of rumply and tacky, but we really love him.  Each year, I consider remaking him, but the kids love him and I'm coming to terms with the fact that it's okay if some holiday items don't have that direct from etsy look.  It's hard to tell the scale of this guy.  He's about 2 feet by 2 feet and is currently wrapped tightly around some card board so he can sit in the floor.  Last year he hung from a piece of furniture that we no longer have. 

Mr. Peacock has 19 numbered feathers made out of all sorts of scraps of fabric from Hannah Jane's 1000 dolls for Haiti project.  Each feather is a pocket that holds a task for that day leading up to Ayyam-i-Ha.  19 days of preparation for the big days!  There are party planning steps, gift making days, card making days...It's all in there.  So each day the kids pull the note out of the correct feather and do whatever Ayyam-i-Ha planning step is written there.  


These are our precious Ayyam-i-gnomes!  I made them a couple of years ago when I was going through a serious clay gnome phase.  Every time I see them, my heart is instantly lured back into gnome making.  I keep thinking I should open an etsy shop for my own Baha'i crafts so that I have an excuse to make more.  I LOVE Momma gnome's flower hat.  Love.  It.  Anyway, this sweet little family of Ayyam-i-Ha gnomes grace our table and sometimes our window sill and they fit together in the palm of my hand.  


And finally, new this year, I have a plan to make a boy and a girl Ayyam-i-Ha Pixie that will hang out together and in various hiding places around the house each day of Ayyam-i-Ha and hold the clue to what the day's big activity.  I finished this little girl Pixie and found that I had zero patience, after sewing in her hair, to make tiny clothes for her.  But what do you know?  Hannah Jane's LaLaLoopsy doll's dress fit her perfectly. This is just tiding her over until I recapture my desire to work on teeny tiny doll clothes.  Today I'll be making her brother pixie.  

I made her out of an old baby sock, a pair of pantyhose, and high loft batting.  Turns out that pantyhose make excellent doll fabric!  They're stretchy enough to pull off that Waldorf style face shaping and they come in all sorts of people colors!  The little she-pixie was made from darker brown hose and I think I'll make the he-pixie a pale fellow.  Her hair is a mix of various yarns and wool rovings left over from the wet felted acorns we made a while back.  I used this excellent tutorial to make her.  I have no idea how I'm going to pull off boy hair, but today's the day we find out just how far my doll making skills really go.  Girl hair covers a multitude of sins, but boys hair...  We shall see!

I think it would be fun to take our little Ayyam-i-Ha Pixies to all of our various parties and photograph them in the action as a way to document out Ayyam-i-Ha fun.  Maybe make them a little album of their own?  We'll see.

I try to let the kids plan their own Ayyam-i-Ha party each year, so they've invited 15 or so friends to bake breads and decorate gift bags to take to the trailer park.  Hunter is obsessed with taking food there since they were so excited to see him for his Christmas service.  I was shy about inviting all of our friends to the trailer park, but I think letting the kids have ownership over their service project is pretty important, so I swallowed my pride and sent the invitation without suggesting we do something a little more traditional.  After service, we're all going out for ice cream!

Our children's class is collecting crayons to mail to children's classes in Colombia.  After we stuff the box for shipping, we'll head to the Alzheimer's Ward to visit and sing and maybe paint nails, etc.  Then we're off for ice cream.  Are you seeing a trend?  All service projects end in ice cream!

Finally, we've got our Baha'i community party on Saturday where we'll be meeting the group for bowling, laser tag, and pizza!  I'm pretty sure our pixies are going to love bowling.  


I can't wait!!!  ONly a few more days until Ayyam-i-Ha!

2 comments:

  1. I love the peacock! Great activities to get ready for Ayyam-i-Ha! You all have so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for loving our frumpy peacock! LOL! I've resisted sharing him for years!

      Delete

Hit me with some comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© At Home with Momma Skyla. Powered by